This is a question every homeowner asks at some point. Whether your home runs on a gas hot water system or a solar hot water system, everyone wants to know how long they can expect it to last before a replacement is required.
First and foremost, the lifespan of your water system depends on various factors such as the material used, the quality of the water, and overall maintenance. Copper pipes, known for their durability, can last anywhere from 50-70 years. These pipes are often used for water supply lines and are great at withstanding high pressure.
On the other hand, galvanised steel pipes, which were once popular in the past, can only last 20-50 years due to their tendency to rust and corrode over time. Plastic pipes, like PVC and PEX, are often used today as they are lightweight, easy to install and much cheaper. PVC pipes have a lifespan of approximately 25-40 years, while PEX pipes, which can withstand extreme temperatures, have a lifespan of about 40-50 years.
Now, it’s important to understand that the lifespan of your water system is not set in stone – regular maintenance and upkeep can significantly increase the longevity of water systems. Regular servicing from a licensed plumber can detect any potential issues and prevent them from becoming major problems.
There are things you can do to extend the lifespan of your hot water system
Here are some maintenance tasks that a homeowner can carry out to keep their water system running optimally and extend its lifespan:
- Regularly inspect and clean faucet aerators and showerheads to remove debris that may clog the water flow.
- Check for leaks in pipes, faucets, toilets, and other water fixtures. Repair any leaks immediately to prevent waste of water and potential water damage.
- Drain the water heater tank once a year to remove any sediment build-up. This can help improve the efficiency of the water heater and prolong its lifespan.
- Check the water pressure regulator and adjust it if necessary. High water pressure can damage pipes and appliances over time.
- Inspect the water softener and add salt when needed. Hard water can cause scale build-up in pipes and appliances, which can lead to damage and inefficiency.
- Replace the water filter in the refrigerator, if applicable, according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Test the sump pump (if installed) by pouring a bucket of water into the sump pit. The pump should turn on and pump the water out. If it doesn’t, have it serviced by a professional.
- Inspect the exterior water lines and irrigation system for damage or leaks. Repair any issues immediately to prevent water waste and water damage.
- Consider scheduling an annual water quality test from a certified laboratory to ensure safe drinking water for your household and to identify any potential problems that may require attention.
What’s the life expectancy of your hot water system?
In a nutshell, your water system’s lifespan depends on many things, including the material used, quality of the water, and overall maintenance. To keep your system running smoothly for as long as possible, make sure you invest in routine maintenance and servicing from a licensed plumber. Take care of your water system, and it will take care of you!
Are you facing issues with your hot water system, leaving you with cold showers? Maybe you’re considering pivoting to a solar hot water system to maximise the abundance of sunshine in Brisbane, or looking for an upgrade that can offer better water pressure.
Either way, Plumbform is the ultimate solution for all your hot water unit concerns in Brisbane, delivering the fastest repairs and installations that guarantee premium efficiency. Our team of professionals is at your disposal to offer guidance on which hot water systems (whether fuelled by gas, electricity or solar energy) would suit your property best.
Plumbform offers effortless installation and repair services for a variety of heating systems, including storage heaters, instant water heaters, heat pumps, solar water heaters, and even hydronic heating. We also specialise in efficient and reliable leak detection, roofing/guttering, gas fitting, rainwater system installation and more. Call us for a free quote and consultation today!